Season DatesCurrent Status - Open Through 31 Dec 2024
Peak01 Jan 2024 - 31 Dec 2024
We are unable to find any sites matching your criteria.
Alerts and Important Information
- Cancellations made within 14 days of arrival WILL NOT be refunded. Cancellations made at least 15 days prior to arrival can receive a refund (does not include transaction/cancellation fees).
- Weather - Afognak Island is generally cool and moist. Average annual precipitation is about 75 inches and summertime avarage temperatures range from the low 40's to the mid-60's. Poor weather can delay flights to and from the park so all visitors are encouraged to pack extra food and supplies in case they get weathered in. Always be ready for rain and soft wet ground/be prepared to stay dry and warm.
- Bears - Kodiak brown bear (Ursus arctos) are found on Afognak Island. Be prepared for bear encounters. Respect the bears, give them the right of way and make a lot of noise (some hikers put bells on their packs and carry whistles to alert bears to their presence).Use caution, avoid surprise encounters, and follow all bear safety ettiquette. Do not leave any food items outside of cabins or otherwise accessible to bears. Discard fish and animal entrails in ocean or deep fast moving water.
- Carry signaling device in case of an emergency (orange cloth/flares/etc.).
- Carry first aid items, flashlight (particularly in winter), snack and a fire starter.
- Surface water should be boiled or treated before drinking.
- Please help protect shorebirds by keeping dogs under control at all times; do not allow dogs to disturb or chase birds or other wildlife.
- Always tell a friend, relative, or park ranger (486-6339) where you are going and when you expect to return.
- Fireworks and explosives are prohibited.
- Disturbing or damaging natural objects prohibited.