Lathrop State Park
Over 1500 acres of breathtaking landscape in Southern Colorado featuring two lakes and excellent outdoor recreational activities
When it comes to outdoor recreation in a truly picturesque setting, it is hard to beat Lathrop State Park. Set against the backdrop of towering snow-capped mountains in Southern Colorado, the 1,594-acre park boasts lakes, trails and even a golf course all for your enjoyment.
The park's two scenic lakes offer a variety of opportunities for boaters and anglers. Horseshoe Lake is perfect for kayakers, canoeists, sailors and other boaters at wakeless speeds, while Martin Lake can be enjoyed by water skiers, power and sail boaters and swimmers. Both lakes are well stocked with a wide range of fish, including catfish, walleye, trout and blue gill.
For panoramic views of the stunning Spanish Peaks, Greenhorn Mountain and Pike's Peak, check out the park's well-maintained trails. The Cuerno Verde Trail, which winds around Martin Lake, is open to bikers and hikers, while the Hogback Trail is limited to hikers only. Keep an eye out during your exploration for migratory birds as well as yucca, prickly pear, cholla and claret cup cacti.
Don't forget your golf clubs! Lathrop State Park's beautiful 9-hole Walsenburg Golf Course is the only golf course within the Colorado State Parks' system. The public course is located adjacent to the park and overlooks Martin Lake and the Spanish Peaks. Also open to the public is the Walsenburg Clubhouse, which features a full-service restaurant, lounge and pro shop.
Lathrop State Park's campgrounds have more than 100 campsites that can accommodate motor homes, trailers and tents. Yucca Campground has 21 non-electric campsites, offering a unique and rustic camping experience. Each site comes with picnic tables and fire pits. Vault toilets, multiple water hydrants and a dump station can be found nearby. Piñon Campground has 82 sites that feature both pull-through and back-in paved spots. This campground offers electrical hookups for up to 50 amps, along with firepits and picnic tables. The park's three designated group camping areas require advanced reservations. Contact the park for details.
You will not want to miss Lathrop State Park's popular picnic areas, which have received an outdoor recreation award for America's Top 15 Picnic Areas. The sites are located around both lakes and each comes with a table and stand-up fire grill.
- Yucca Campground can accommodate tents and small camping units such as pop-up campers, camper vans, pickup trucks with camper tops, and small RVs. Trash receptacles are provided at the campground entrance.
- Piñon Campground is within walking distance to the golf course. This upgraded campground has restrooms and pay showers in each loop. Water hydrants are also located throughout the campground, and trash receptacles are positioned at the entrance to each of the four loops. Handicap sites are also available.
- For off-season camping information, contact the park office.
- Two scenic lakes offering a wide range of water sport and fishing opportunities.
- Nine-hole public golf course and club house complete with a full-service restaurant and pro shop.
- Visitor center featuring a conference room with 12 large murals depicting historical scenes from the local area; conference room is available to rent for meetings and other functions.
Lathrop State Park
70 County Road 502
Walsenburg, CO 81089
Lathrop State Park is located three miles west of Walsenburg on U.S. Hwy 160.
Learn more about this park and book your reservation online